Oct 23 2010

Petrzalka in Photos

Published by at 12:48 pm under Domestic and tagged: ,

To compliment Ian Cusack’s piece below and also James Baxter’s article in this month’s edition of When Saturday Comes magazine, here are a few photos (click to enlarge) to give an impression of the current situation with football in Petrzalka:

Firstly, both James & Ian refer to the former ground of Artmedia Petrzalka with affection.  The Stary Most (old bridge) Stadium is situated in parkland on the Petrzalka (rather than Bratislava) side of the banks of the river Danube.

The scene of two domestic Championship successes, some fantastic matches must have been played here.   Proper football grounds like this are sadly lacking in Slovakia, especially in Bratislava.  Sadder still, Stary Most was sold for redevelopment, but as is also the case with Tehelne Pole, the former National and Slovan stadium, politics and the recession got in the way and the ground remains in the condition seen below.

The new FC Petrzalka 1898 owners, Jozef Venglos Jr included, promise a return to Petrzalka for the team hopefully by 2013. Those with memories of football in this place must be full of anticipation for the Petrzalka home-coming.

When Ivan Kmotrik, the former owner of Petrzalka, decided to buy Slovan Bratislava instead and took most of the good players with him, it was the start of a steady decline for the black and whites.  This happened during a period when Inter Bratislava also ceased to exist after being bought out by a business consortium organised by the town of Senica, leaving football fans in Bratislava seriously disenchanted with the state of the club football in the capital.  Petrzalka were forced out of Stary Most and were left with no choice but to play their matches  at Pasienky Stadium on the other side of the city. Attendances were pitiful and the team became a shadow of their former-selves (2 times domestic Champions, Slovakia’s last Champions League entrants before MSK Zilina this season).

The following photo is one of my own, and shows the turn-out of Petrzalka fans for last season’s ‘derby’ with Slovan, the last to be held at Tehelne Pole stadium (yes there are around 5 people there):

Away end Petrzalka

Anyway, the club was rather unsurprisingly relegated at the end of last season, and as mentioned by James in his article are enjoying something of  rejuvenation in the 1. Division.  The newly named, newly owned FC Petrzalka 1989 are for this season at least, playing their home games at another tiny ground in the Prievoz district of Bratislava.  Crowds are up and performances are too, today’s big game away at Trencin will go someway towards telling us whether they stand a chance of bouncing straight back up or whether they may have to wait another season, you fear the latter, but perhaps this is no bad thing for a club clearly rebuilding from scratch.

Ian, James and myself are all more-than interested followers of the recovery of Petrzalka and let’s hope that it is not too long before we see them return to the top flight, playing their football a new stadium in their own district in front of decent crowds .. perhaps then there will be hope of a serious Bratislava derby.

For much more detail on this story, I strongly recommend you to pick up November’s copy of WSC (Issue 285).

14 Responses to “Petrzalka in Photos”

1.   James Baxteron 24 Oct 2010 at 9:02 pm

Thanks for this coverage, and to Ian for his article, it all adds to an interesting story. There is an update too ; it was written in Sport yesterday that Petrzalka might be back in ther own district by 2011. Initial projections are for a ground with a capacity of 3,601 (couldn’t they be more precise?!) adjoining a primary school, whose name escapes me for now.

I was beginning to think being near the top of I Liga might be worrying them as Prievoz would never be acceptable for the Corgon Liga yet they would never want to go back to Pasienky.
    Trencin’s win means they can worry a little less about these questions for now.

Look forward to reading and contributing more about this story -it’s sure to develop over the coming months.

2.   Stary Jazvecon 03 Nov 2010 at 1:32 am

New stadium to be completed by 1. júl 2011. Stadium’s “krst” v Austria Wien, it says here.

3.   britskibelasion 03 Nov 2010 at 8:59 am

Where exactly is this new stadium? Might have to join for the Austria Wien game!

4. [...] to imagine them travelling to Petrzalka for anything other than a cross-city derby if the former Artmedia club of Petrzalka do manage to claw themselves back into the Top League of Slovak [...]

5. [...] imagine them travelling to Petrzalka for anything other than a cross-city derby if the newly named FC Petrzalka 1898 do manage to claw themselves back into the Top League of Slovak [...]

6.   Estojaon 16 Mar 2011 at 2:08 pm

I was last Saturday in Bratislava and I visited Štadión Petržalka. I was very surprised to see the state of the stadium. I was not expecting that. It was quite sad to see it. I made some pics and I am planning to write something on a Spanish blog where I write every now and then.

After visiting this stadium I went to see the match FK Rača-Nové Mesto nad Váhom, but I only managed to see the second half, as I misread the beginning time.

I am really glad I found this blog because I could read what actually happened to Štadión Petržalka. Last Saturday I knew nothing.

7.   britskibelasion 22 Mar 2011 at 2:04 pm

Estoja,
    Thanks for your comment. It is indeed a unique situation, I would say in the whole of Europe, where the old stadiums of both Artmedia Petrzalka and Slovan Bratislava remain in a state is disrepair and both teams are playing at temporary grounds.
    Please send the link to your blog.
    We desperately hope both teams [and the National Team] end up playing in stadiums befitting of teams in a European Capital city.
    I’m interested in your visit to FK Raca, I’ve never been there myself. How was the crowd and the stadium? I’m assuming it was just a few people around a pitch with very few facilities? I also assume you could still get a beer though?!
    Cheers & keep reading!

8.   Estojaon 23 Mar 2011 at 8:58 pm

My blog is http://miticosdelbalompie.blogspot.com/ and that’s where I will be write about my visit to Raca, I should post it at the end of this week.

But the article about Petrzalka Stadium and Slovan Stadium I wrote it at another blog where I collaborate every now and then.

Here the link: http://cafefutbol.blogspot.com/2011/03/stadion-petrzalka-y-otros-estadios-de.html

And I will definitively keep reading your blog. I live in Vienna since 2005 and I like to follow Slovak, Czech, Polish and Hungarian football, but with the language barrier (I just speak a bit of Polish) is difficult to keep updated. Your blog is great to keep updated about Slovak football, I like it a lot.

Raca’s place is very small, it has a tribune attached to a building and then there are cement stands all around the stadium. When I post about the match I will send you the links with the pictures.

Cheers

9.   Estojaon 23 Mar 2011 at 9:00 pm

And about the beer. Actually I checked the time of the match wrong and I arrived there during the second half, so I had no time left to go to the bar as I was making pictures and following the match :-(

10.   Estojaon 23 Mar 2011 at 10:47 pm

By the way, maybe you are also interested, two years ago I was in Tehelne polé watching Slovan-Petrzalka, here you have what I wrote: http://miticosdelbalompie.blogspot.com/2009/08/groundhopping-sk-slovan-bratislava-mfk.html

And I just realised that in one of the pictures I took (not published in the article), your flag is to be seen, the picture is very similar to yours in this article. If you want it I can send it to you.

11.   Estojaon 24 Mar 2011 at 2:53 pm

Sorry, I just realised I did not post the link to the Petrzalka article: http://cafefutbol.blogspot.com/2011/03/stadion-petrzalka-y-otros-estadios-de.html

I might have done something wrong yesterday.

12.   Estojaon 24 Mar 2011 at 5:47 pm

Ok, and this about FK Rača’s Stadium: http://miticosdelbalompie.blogspot.com/2011/03/groundhopping-fk-raca-afc-nove-mesto.html

13.   britskibelasion 24 Mar 2011 at 9:30 pm

Nice one, thanks!
    Unfortunately my Spanish is not great, so I haven’t worked my way through the articles!
    I think we may have been at the same Slovan v Petrzalka match actually, it wasn’t my flag, but it was in the Petrzalka end? The photo above in this article is from that match. I didn’t have my flag then, but if you send the photo to britskibelasi@gmail.com I would be very interested!
    OK so you live in Vienna, email me and we can keep in touch about maybe meeting for some matches. We are going with a group of groundhoggers / bloggers to Slovan v Zlate Moravce on 9-April and Petrzalka v Trencin on 10-April, if you’d be interested!
    Cheers, Dan

14. [...] with fellow Slovak football observer James Baxter, we have written at length about the footballing demise of Petržalka.  Ivan Kmotrik, one of Slovakia’s richest men and owner of a publishing company decided to [...]